Selfie - Self backstage

“Photos don’t just depict the self but are a procedure for self-knowledge, a mode of thinking about the self. This identity work is deciding to remember something as quintessentially me, a choice, a performance, memorialized within the frame” (Jurgenson, 56). At the end of the day it's my face and body, and if I choose to put it online that's up to me, but I also have to take the blame if they fall into the wrong hands. If such incident ever happens to me, I'd be more mindful and be more selective towards the content of the photo and who to view them.

Selfies are most commonly criticized not for their potential risks, but for their associations with vanity and narcissism. I consider selfie is my private backstage, which is a self in the active process of being made and also being passively shaped by the world.” (Jurgenson, 57). When looking at a selfie, the most important aspect is attitudes which depend on how we feel more generally about sharing personal information on the internet. The increase in sharing of all kinds of personal information and images may have redefined what is "normal".

In my opinion, selfies are connected to a specific time and place. When you look at those photos later, you remember the situation, the place you visited, what was going on at that particular time. Also, you may remember how the situation you captured made you feel. And that’s great.


A self portrait from NYC trip in December, 2021

A selfie from July, 2021

A selfie from March, 2022. There is a big difference between the selfies that mark my style and change in appearance.






Comments

Popular Posts