What does it mean to experience nostalgia in the digital age?

"Photography is a technology of instability. It stages a play of the real and the simulated, the apparent and the contrived, the creative and the mechanical"(Nathan Jurgenson, 7). Yes, indeed it is and to this day, the now and the then. The world pace moves forward so as technology, especially social media and it is a means of communication remotely for photography. Social media such as Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, etc bridges eras of art together via posts, story, reels, shared memories, etc. that can provoke nostalgia. We  may wonder what does it mean to experience nostalgia in the digital age?

Personally, my nostalgia is defined as people, places, time with which I feel a strong emotional attachment. More specifically, it could range from homesickness, to reminiscing on events and people from the past and longing for a period of time. It carries both negative and positive feelings towards a memorable moments in the pictures. There is a contradiction between social media and nostalgia: while my screen time is about 6 hours per day which is considered as much wasteful time and makes people socially distanced than ever. However, I believe the nostalgic features an attempt to make us feel more connected to our interactions.

Me and my friends went to Chicago for the first time and it was the most remarkable trip during my first year.

It was Fall term Freshman year that we first time explored Peabody park and the playground. My first unforgettable memories with my new friends who now are my best friends


Me and my roommate first stroll along the river in Fall term Freshman year when we were still closed


Comments

Popular Posts